The Elgin Library is a very kid-friendly place! We have a variety of programs aimed at young readers to enhance their love of reading and learning, creating and making, and interacting and playing.
Preschool Story Hour: every Wednesday from September through May from 10:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Bring your 3-5 year-olds for an hour packed with stories, games, music, and activities.
- Parents can drop their young ones off, or they may stay to help or to enjoy the quiet, homey atmosphere of our library and check out materials for themselves!
- Registration is required, but you may do so on your first visit to story hour, or you may give Lisa a call or email to say you'd like to attend.
Summer Stories in June: every Wednesday in June from 11:00-11:30 a.m.
- All kids in preschool-grade 3 and their families are welcome to this half hour of stories, music, and more!
- These special story times will be outside in our park area. Bring a blanket or chair to sit on.
- If it is raining at 11:00, we will go inside the library.
Check It Out! After School Clubs at the library
To attend, kids and parents can register at the library and choose which clubs are of interest. Then a calendar of club meetings will be available online and reminders will be on Facebook. Kids can ride The NFV Valley site's buses to the library or come on their own or with a parent from 2:30 to 4:00 p.m. to have some fun and learn a lot! Parents are welcome to stay to help, browse books, or can simply pick up when the program is done, or at closing time at 5:00. Snacks are always provided by the Friends of the Library. Those with food allergies are encouraged to bring their own snack. Check the calendar on the HOME page to see which clubs meet! Or check out the page here.
Summer Reading Program: Outside and in-person 2022
The library offers a fun Summer Program to keep kids reading all summer long. Registration can be done online any time or stop by the last week in May to get kids registered. Then we offer reading incentives until we hit our 4 fun programs in June and July. Check back here or on the HOME page calendar for specific dates and times.
Outreach to Schools
Library Lisa visits the preschool through 5th grade classrooms on a regular basis throughout the school year. She reads lots of stories, does book talks, and makes it easy for all students to check out books from the Elgin Public Library! Ask Lisa or call 426-5313 for more information!